Following is the postmark deadline for submitting your application. Incomplete or late applications will NOT be reviewed:
December 1st Ph.D. deadline
The application process of the Graduate Program of Political Science involves various elements.
Please use this checklist to ensure you have submitted all the necessary application materials for graduate study in Political Science at the University of California, Los Angeles. We recommend you start as early as possible to avoid any delays in processing your application.
- Start the Graduate Admissions Application on-line from the Graduate Division website, www.grad.ucla.edu. Complete Basic Information, Biographical Data, and Citizenship and Residency.
Please be sure to apply to the correct major for Plans for Graduate Study. Select Political Science.
- Complete additional sections (e.g., Academic History, Professional Experience)
- Application Fee must be paid upon submission of your application. The nonrefundable application fee ($120.00 for U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents; $140.00 for all other applicants) can be paid by credit card only (MasterCard, Discover, or American Express). Please be advised that a 2.75% fee will be charged for use of a credit card. The application fee must be paid before an application can be processed. The online form on the Graduate Division provides details.
The following items must be uploaded in each corresponding part of the application:
- Personal Statement: 1-2 double-spaced pages, 12pt font.
- Statement of Purpose: 3-5 double-spaced pages, 12pt font. Only one statement of purpose is required.
- Writing Sample: 5-25 double-spaced pages, 12 font. Only one writing sample is requried.
- Resume or CV.
- Upload transcripts
- Mail official hard copy transcripts to department
ATTN: Graduate Advisor
UCLA Political Science Department
BOX 951472, 4289 Bunche
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1472
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report from the Education Testing Service.
UCLA’s institution code for this exam is 4837, and the department code is 1902. All prospective students to the Department of Political Science should take the GRE exam by November 1st. If scores are not received by December 3rd, your application will be considered incomplete. Please plan accordingly.
- The application deadline for scholarships or fellowships coincides with the program deadline. You may also find information on other forms of funding by visiting: www.grad.ucla.edu/asis/entsup/finsup.htm
- Three letters of recommendation—done via online access.
The website will lead you through the instructions. You will submit three names and respective email addresses of your recommenders. These individuals will then be notified by email and asked to complete the recommendation online. You will be able to ascertain via the Internet who has completed the recommendation and when. All recommendations must be submitted by the established deadline in order to be considered. Recommendations are completed and submitted online.
DO NOT SEND HARD COPIES OF YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS.